All dogs and cats born after the 1 July 2018 must be desexed by a registered veterinary surgeon:
- before it is 6 months of age; or
- within 28 days after the owner takes possession of the dog or cat; or
- if the owner of a dog or cat is granted an extension of time, before the day specified in the exemption.
- Vets may grant an exemption based on it posing an undue risk to the health of the dog or cat or adversely affecting the growth, development or wellbeing of the dog or cat.
- Dogs and cats born before the 1 July 2018 are exempt.
- Dogs and cats belonging to Dogs and Cats Online registered breeders are exempt.
- Dogs defined as a “Working Livestock Dog” as per the definition in the Act are exempt.
- Dogs belonging to Dogs SA members are exempt.
- Cats belonging to a FASA or Cat Fancy of SA members are exempt.
- Greyhounds currently registered to Greyhound Racing SA are exempt (retired greyhounds are not exempt).
- Board exemption.