There are no 'banned' dog breeds in South Australia but there are five ‘prescribed breeds’ with restrictions that come with ownership.
The five prescribed breeds are:
- American Pit Bull Terrier;
- Fila Braziliero;
- Japanese Tosa;
- Dogo Argentinia;
- Presa Canario.
Prescribed breeds requirements
The person responsible for a prescribed breed is required to:
- Effectively confine the dog to their property;
- Muzzle the dog in public;
- Keep the dog under the effective control by means of physical restraint in public;
- Must produce evidence the dog is desexed, if requested by a council officer.
Prescribed breeds must not be sold or given away, or advertised it for purposes of sale or give away.